Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In Pictures and In Words - Chap. 7 ~ Ideas and Content

Chapter 7 of Katie Wood Ray's In Pictures and In Words was all about ideas and content.



I loved this quote "The writer of any work .... must decide crucial points: what to put in and what to leave out" (pg. 96).   Ray said, "writing .... is first and foremost a process of deciding what my content will be" (pg. 97).

Ray emphasized that by teaching children to notice and use these various techniques in illustrating, that students will learn that illustrating is not simply "drawing what the words say" (p. 98). They will learn that the words only hint at the possibilities of content and that they, as illustrators, decide the content and meaning from the vast options that are possible.

Here are some books that I might use as examples of techniques 1-12:

Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton 

#1 - Crafting with distance perspective - Katy is sometimes shown close up, and sometimes far, far away. The perspective grows as the size of the areas Katy plows grows. 
#2 - Positioning Perspective - Katy is shown from the front or side the whole story, until the end when she is returning and is pictured from the back. 

My Friend Is Sad by Mo Willems 

#3 - Crafting the background - no background throughout the story - just white!


The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant & Stephen Gammel 

#4 - Showing two sides of a physical space - one spread shows relatives hugging outside the house, as well as inside the house, seen through several windows 
#7 - Using scenes to show movement through different places 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle 

#8 - Using scenes as lists - many picture lists of all the things the caterpillar ate



Those are the ones that popped into my head while I was reading... most of my books are packed up in my classroom currently, so I'm mainly going from memory.  I'm getting a good noggin work-out! :) 

No comments: