Saturday, July 28, 2012

Star Student Newspaper Activity

I just watched this awesome video on The Teacher Channel. (I discovered this addictive site thanks to my dear friend Jennifer at Delighted in Second).



I love this idea for the beginning of the year. I know each of the students would be so excited to be the Star of the Day and how much fun to get to wear a cape! I love it.

I think Kimberly Laurance did a great job of easing her students into writing. Starting first by having them interview the star student while she writes the "newspaper article," then having students copy one sentence, or early on, having them only write the other student's name and a label gently scaffolds them as they build their writing confidence.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can implement this in my classroom.  I generally call the birthday student the 'star student' and it is during their birthday week that they get to be 'star student.' Maybe I just need a new phrase for this newspaper interview activity? 

I'm not coming up with anything good.... maybe it will hit me at 2am this morning.

I think I'll do 2-3 'newspaper interviews' per week, instead of doing them every day. And I'll have my aide and myself be the first interviewees so that we can model what kind of questions to ask. I need to plan a good mini lesson about questioning before then, too. And make some sweet capes!!

I'm excited! Let me know if you have a great brainstorm for a good title for this activity! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Katie said...

It's in the works! I'm still figuring all this out. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)